Friday, February 29, 2008

Gardening

This is it, this is the weekend that I will finally start a garden.

First, I am going to make a container compost pile, from the blog I read, it seem to be easy peasy. I know that the compost will not really be used for quite some time, there is no time like the present to get started!

Second, I am going to get lawn bags to put all the leaves in that I do not use in the compost bin.

Third, I am going to figure out what things I should plant. I really want to do blueberries, it will make the pies A LOT cheaper, but from what I read, I need acidic soil. I guess I need to figure out 1. how to test soil, and 2. how to make the soil acidic. I would also like to grow other berries. I have been told that the soil in our neighborhood has lead in it, this leaves out any root vegetables. Anything grown above ground should be A-OK for eating.

I may get some flower seeds and throw them in the front yard. I would like to brick this area in the next couple months, but no reason it has to look barren until then.

If anyone has ideas about what I should grow, please, please let me know. I also don't know what grows well in DC (in a shady backyard). At this point, I am willing to try anything and everything. Let's see what happens!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude, Meghan, if you want something to grow well in DC you should plant some government!

--Cousin Andy

diana may said...

well, if you want to get more bang for your buck i suggest planting fresh herbs. they are so cheap, usually grow like weeds and are so expensive when you buy them. sage, basil, cilantro, rosemary.. those are all pretty good ones. also, tomatoes, because they are delicious!

eLBy said...

I am all about hot peppers. You love peppers, why not bring them within picking distance?

Also, what about pumpkins? I don't know when the appropriate time is for starting pumpkins, but I do know that I have never had a failed experience with those buddies. Also, they are good for carving as well as pie making!

eLBy said...

also, maybe check this out:

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/compost/452-129/452-129.html#toc

I don't know if harmful metals are included in their tests, you could probably call.

LB