Friday, January 4, 2008

I don't want to peel the squirrel!

Last night my friend Kate got into town. We headed over to Queen of Sheba. I love having this only a few minutes walk from my apartment! As always, it was delicious. I ordered wine because I can have alcohol at this wonderful restaurant. I did happen to realize that every time I go there the music is interesting. I went there for the Ethiopian New Year a few months back, and there was a TV broadcasting the celebrations from Ethiopia, it was great. Last night I don't know if they just put an ipod on random or what, but we did get to listen to such hits as, "Careless Whisper" and "Funky Town". It was really great. I also have to say that it was pretty busy last night. It is nice to see a neighborhood establishment so alive and doing so well.

I have been really trying to improve my pie making abilities in the last few months and I had a breakthrough earlier this week. I will start at the beginning. A couple months ago I purchased a TV, so of course I have become addicted to watching it. Spending the last couple years in school and on a very tight budget, I didn't have time for TV, so it is like a new thing for me. Anyway, I have a friend that really likes TV and told me I should watch "Pushing Daisies". I took his advice, it was good advice. For anyone not watching this show, you should go to http://www.abc.go.com/ right now and start watching it. Anyway, I won't go into the whole premise of the show, but they bake pies. I have always wanted to have pies be a part of my everyday life, so I took it up as well. I have never been much of a cook, I mean, I like my food, but my poor boyfriend has to suffer through it. On the other hand, I am a pretty decent baker, so I have been improving over the last couple months and recruiting pie tasters. After a few pounds gained and recipes modified, I wanted to try a pie like that Chuck makes. I made an Apple Pie with Gruyere Cheese Crust. (I will post pictures once my camera/computer decide to reconcile). It was phenomenal. I took it to a party, which is a bit risky having never tried it. It was a great idea. I made another one to bring into work a couple days later. My boss said that I should sell them, that made me very happy since he is not much of a sweets person.

The next pie - Pear and Brie.

I am going to try and sell these pies at a Farmers' Market this summer. I have to get a kitchen inspected by the Department of Health, and get a small business license. I will be looking into it further.

I have been reflecting lately on my life, perhaps it was getting another year older, or everyone talking about new years resolutions, anyway, I have decided that there are a few things I would like to work on this year. I am trying to bring yoga into my life, I think it is a positive change that will help with many things in my life. The few times I have gone, I have slept better, I feel strong and confident. I have also decided that I am going to stop trying to take on so much. I will introduce things slowly into my life, and not be angry with myself if something doesn't work out, or I don't stick with it.

On a lighter note, it is going to be a beautiful weekend, and practically Spring next week (temperature wise anyway). Black Cat should be fun tonight, if I make it. I think it will be a great weekend for long walks and lots of tea.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

love your blogs!!! when do we get pie?
love you
mom

diana may said...

awwww this post really makes me want to be in DC with you!!

movie recommendation: The Waitress. It is about a pie-maker

Pear and Brie sounds AMAZING!! I have confidence in you, even without the yoga!!!