Sunday, April 27, 2008

They stole some D's off that bitch

Guest blogger Nate here, also known as "the boyfriend"


I just found my 5th stolen car in 18 months. I have an eye for such things it would seem. The most recent round started as Meghan and I walked our out-of-town guest to the metro so she could catch her flight back home. I noticed a Cadillac CTS sitting on cinderblocks without wheels on 5th. On our way back to the house I decided to walk by to get a better look and noticed the telltale signs of a stolen car:
Physical damage to door lock
Door left unlocked
Trashed interior
and the #1 sign
A PARKING TICKET

The car also had 30 day Virginia plates which are set to expire on Monday but temporary plates have only shown up in 2 out of the 5 cars I have spotted.

I would have left the car there and come back to take pictures as time went on of it being stripped further but a police happened to be driving by as we walked away. I waived the officers down, two females to my surprise, and pointed them to the car. I told them the might want to run the VIN given the situation and the officers eyes glazed over at the thought of ensuing paperwork.

So, that is the tale of car #5

Car #4 was a VW that sat on Marion Street for 2 months last summer and amassed many tickets while the VIN plate had been scratched out

Car #3 was a Dodge pickup that sat on our street for at least 4 months. It had no plates, the VIN was popped and it continued to get many tickets. Eventually it was broken into by having a window smashed. I called non-emergency police 4 times about the truck as it took up prime parking real estate but it was never towed until several of my neighbors called in the same day.

Car #2 was a similar situation to the Dodge, but it was an Isuzu Rodeo that had been in a wreck and dumped by Yums on 14th (the good Yums, with mumbo sauce), it too had a stock pile of tickets

Car #1 was a Honda Accord that was abandoned, while running, in the street. There was still a screw driver on the passenger seat while the DC parking maid wrote out the ticket. I also told them they might want to look a little bit deeper than the surface.

So, that is the tale of stolen cars. I think I might start taking pictures before suggesting the police do their jobs. I wonder if I look if I can find a car a month...

2 comments:

the littlebear project said...

I didn't realize that Nathan would swear in the title. I am sorry.

Matt Siemer said...

Stolen cars being stripped and left in Shaw is sad. Stolen cars without VINs getting parking tickets when the police can clearly see that the lock is popped is not sad, it's absurd. I wonder what could possibly be going through their minds...