Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Two Cents on Pollution and Hybrid Vehicles

I was reading about an article that mentioned pollution and it I started thinking about how it has affected my views and life. I am glad that it has become mainstream to try and be "green" and that many people are trying be more aware and do their part. The one thing that truly gets my goat every time is all these people buying hybrid vehicles.

First, these cars are really not better for the environment. Okay, to drive them, yes, but to build them, no. In fact, from everything I have read, the mining of nickel (which is what is used to build the batteries in these cars) destroys land and makes it basically, completely useless. It becomes a wasteland. It is more harmful than driving a Hummer for the duration of its life.

Second, people are getting rid of perfectly good, running cars to buy these, what do you think happens to old cars? They are put into dumps, causing, guess what??? MORE POLLUTION!

Third, and one of the most despicable things I have heard, there was a guy last year that purchased a USED Hummer. His neighbors were offended by his choice and looted his car. They scratched it, popped the tires, broke windows, etc. He then had to get all this fixed. Do these people realize that tires cause pollution? Do they also realize that he now had to get it all fixed and therefore all the things that had to be thrown away would further pollute the earth.

So, here is my point: for those people that do not want to pollute, don't. It is simple. I decided a while ago that I wanted to lessen my carbon footprint, I got rid of my car and purchased a used bicycle. I know that this is not a possibility for everyone, however, I will not judge people's choice to own whatever car they please. If you want to get a hybrid, at least wait until they make stable lithium ion batteries, these are far less devastating on the environment.

Okay, done preaching.

2 comments:

Karyn said...

I'm no expert, and I am an annoying hybrid driver, but from what I understand, nickel-hydride batteries (hybrids) are better than lead-acid batteries (most cars), which end up in landfills and such.

Lithium-ion batteries are supposed to be the best.

I say: ride bikes.

the littlebear project said...

I am not against hybrids at all, and if you are ready for a new car, I say go for it. It is more people buying a car in say 2005, then in 2006 deciding to get rid of that car to get a hybrid...I just want them to wait until 2010 when we can have lithium-ion...GM is sooo close.

(perhaps is the the growing up in a GM household and being preached about the evils of other car companies, etc.)

I like bikes!